Thursday, July 20, 2006

Seizures



I had to post a picture of the sun because its is HOT today, its only 1pm and its 104 outside already high is going to be 106 and 110 tomorrow. Emma doesnt like the heat.

We went to the neurologist today. The little jumps that Emma has been having for over a year now are apparently something called myoclonic seizures. They will be doing an EEG of her brain in 2 months to make sure, there is a huge waiting list to get the test done. An electroencephalogram (EEG) is a test to detect abnormalities in the electrical activity of the brain. It will confirm if they are seizures or not.

Dr Parke gave us a prescription for something called Zonegran which should help Emma. She will then slowly wean her from her phenobarbital if this new medicine works. She is on the lowest dose pill they make and no one in Norman carries it. Thank God for CVS pharmacy because they will special order it for me and it will on take a day or two to get it.

At first the thought of Emma having seizures scared me, I mean we always were told they were not seizures. Then I got to thinking and well she is the same today as she was a week a month and a year ago, we just know what they are now. So I am not bothered by the diagnoses, but more encouraged because now we can treat it properly.

Emma wore her new blue dress to the doctor, and brought her new barbie doll along, she had a cute head band in and everyone thought she looked adorable. She was really sweating due to the heat, I hate this heatwave but come Sat we are supposed to have a cool down.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am really glad that Emma's diagnosis and treatment are progressing. I hope the new medicine works well and that she can get off the pheno. I know it has to be an ease off of your mind to get some answers. Hug and Kiss my Emma Angel for me!

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»

Contact us via email at:
emmaandmommy@yahoo.com