Monday, January 21, 2008

Icky Sicky Girl



Well the last few days Emma has been really gunky. She started using oxygen last night, which she has not done in over 2 years. Except of course the last time she was sick which was 17 months ago.

Last night I suctioned her atleast 10 times, because I went through a whole bag of suction caths. We normally suction 1 time a week. She used oxygen ranging from .5 to 2.5 lit. through out the night. Now for those of you who don't know about oxygen that isn't a whole lot but its a lot for her. So this morning I called an ambulance, which is how we always go to the hospital since we don't have a car, and it means not having to wait in a waiting room too!

I packed like we would be staying for a week. We ALWAYS stay when she gets sick like she was. But guess what? The chest xray was clear! They did a culture and it didnt show any immediate signs of icky stuff, but they are still watching it, and they did an RSV test but not the rapid kind, they really felt it wasn't RSV. Their verdict : a common cold. Never in my life have I been more glad that one of my kids had a cold. We got to come home, a little bruised up from iv pokes, that was unneeded anyway, and using no oxygen but she is now on .5 lt.

What is weird is as soon as we got there she didn't require oxygen anymore. Isn't that they way it always is? Plus I changed her vent circuit while there and told the nurse she would have to bag her and guess what? She went from 95 sats to 100 with no bagging or vent at all. Crazy huh?

We just have to keep an eye on her and expect some oxygen use until she is all well. She doesn't mind her "o's" though it makes her oxygen levels much happier. I am sure we are going to be in for a few more rough days until she beats this, so kindly remember us in your prayers if you please. I will update you all atleast daily until she is well.

0 comments:

Contact us via email at:
emmaandmommy@yahoo.com