Saturday, July 25, 2009

Shakey Baby Girl again

Emma had a seizure today around 5. I had to give her diastat, which is the break through medicine they gave us, its given rectally, not fun to give it to her. It stopped it within 2 mins. She slept for about 2 hours and woke up doing just fine now, hanging out watching tv with her sister.

Here is how it went down so to speak: She had a small seizure it stopped by itself but then she dropped her oxygen sats to about 85, which is low but not super life threatening low. I bagged her (manual breathed for her) to bring them back up, for about 30 seconds and then she was fine. No oxygen, that would have been my next step if bagging did not work. I did a quick trach change, just in case it was plugged or something, it was a bit gunky but nothing pluggish. Then she had a seizure again, and I didn't wait to see if it stopped this time. I got her medicine and while I changed her diaper prior to giving it to her (She had a messy diaper) she dropped her sats to 89. Bagged about 5 squeezes of the bag and she came back up. Gave her the medicine and she went to sleep she was Not breathing over the vent at all, but that is ok, the medicine knocks her out and that is expected.

We have never had to use this medicine so I called Donna. Daniel's mommy. Daniel had to have it used a lot. She told me that Emma would be asleep for several hours and really limp and loose. Which she was.

So now we have to keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't have any more seizures. I think if she has one more like this I will ask for something besides the zonegran. Right now she has had 2 seizures this year. That isn't really that bad in the grand scheme of things but if they continue I will worry.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Emma im sorry to hear you had a seizure:(:( You are definitely in my thoughts & prayers. Hang in there pretty girl.

Mimi said...

I'm glad Emma's doing better tonight. Give her hugs and kisses and tell her I love her.

Laura said...

Sorry to hear about Emmas seizure.. sure hope she is back to herself.

Laura - Wall.e's mommy

 The Morris Family said...

Thought I would say Hi, have not heard from ya in a while! Hope Emma is stable now and all is well!! That sounded scary!

Hua said...

Hello,

I'm so sorry to hear about Emma;s seizure. I am sending all my prayers to her...

I just wanted to let you know that Wellsphere's HealthBlogger Network has many people who are in a similar situation as you are. If you would like to share your experience and help others cope, I would encourage you to take a look at http://www.wellsphere.com/health-blogger, and to consider applying ot join the HealthBlogger Network.

If you need any assistance, please feel free to email me at hua [at] wellsphere [dot] com.

Best regards,
Hua
Director of Blogger Networks

Laura said...

Emma, tell mommy we need an update on all of you. Has been a long time.

Thanks for leaving leaving messages. Someone was so thrilled to hear from Emma :)

Laura - Wall.e's mommy

Contact us via email at:
emmaandmommy@yahoo.com