Tuesday, May 08, 2007

In Memory of a beautiful town...






On Friday the 4th of May, a huge EF-5 Tornado wiped out the town that Emma's Great Grandpa lives in. He walked away with out a scratch. Above is a pic of him given Emma some love and attention at her birthday party. We thank God Grandpa is ok. We spent many sleepless hours on Friday trying to get a hold of anyone in Kansas and searching the internet for information.

But at about 5am, 7 hours after the tornado hit, we got word he was ok. He had gone to the hospital to seek shelter, parts of the hospital did collapse and it was badly damaged. He is now staying with Emma's grandpa in a nearby town. Emma
s Great Grandpa is one of my most favorite people. He is so loving and sweet and just an all around good guy. I can't express how wonderful he is. Usually when I tell people about him I tell him he is the nicest man I have ever met. My grandparents have all passed away but even though we are related by marriage only I still call him Grandpa and think of him and love him like he was truly my own. He lost his wife when I was pregnant with the girls, and she was an amazing person too. Emma has her middle name. Louise.

The entire town of Greensburg is damaged severely or just plain gone. We ask that all our blog friend say a special prayer for the town. It was such a beautiful town and it is made up of some of the finest people in the entire world.

As of today 10 people have died. They did manage to pull 2 people out of a church alive yesterday. False reports came in about a survivor the night before though.

I urge all of you to not only go look the tornado info up online, but to also just look up Greensburg in general and see pictures of how beautiful it used to be. I hate seeing it on the news now, I did ok not crying too much except when we didn't know if Grandpa was ok. But then yesterday I cried knowing that Emma and Ella will never be able to go to Greensburg. Well not the old Greensburg anyway. The one their dad played at the park in, went swimming in, and basically ran around causing trouble in as a child. No letting them see Grandpa's house, the store he worked in, or the big well that was its claim to fame. I know they will rebuild but it won't be the same.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a nice tribute!

Also, wanted to pop in and say Happy Mother's Day! !

Contact us via email at:
emmaandmommy@yahoo.com