Tuesday, December 22, 2009

There's no place like home...


Home at last! I am so happy we finally have Emma home. We got home around 5 last night. Emma slept very well in her very own bed last night and loved the fact that no nurses can in the room every 2 hours!!!

The problem was that she had 5 ulcers in her stomach that bled. We had no idea until she started passing blood in her diaper that she had ulcers. Her electrolites and hemoglobin were way out of whack when she got there and they dropped a few times during the trip too. She had 3 blood transfusions , lots of thanks to the 2 A positive and one A neg. donors that saved my baby's life!

She had 2 failed attempts at starting a picc line for the many blood draws she needed on a daily basis, apparently she has flat veins that round caths don't like to go in! So she had a central line put in.

She had 2 endoscopies and a colonoscopy. They took some cells during the tests and think she has a problem with her milk she got in her feeding tube, she apparently has a allergy to the type of protein in it and that is what caused the ulcers. Her seizure medicine she spent years on also causes ulcers so we are off that now, and on no seizure meds as of yet, they want to see if she she managable off medicine. So far so good.

She is on a new formula and 2 medicines and will be pretty much forever I guess. Prevacid for acid control and Carafate to coat her stomach.

We did a lot of praying that we would be home for Christmas and I am beyond excited to have her well and home now. This was the sickest she has ever been in her life. They said we can pretty close to losing her those first few days, due to her hemoglobin dropping so low. But the little miracle she is, with all the courage and strength she carries around, she showed those doctors a thing or two and has more or less made a full recovery!

Thanks for all the prayers you have sent, and to our family who helped us during our stay. Thanks goes out to those from church her brought food, and visited and prayed for us. That love really helped keep our spirits up. There isn't a thank you card big enough for all that was done, and we are so very grateful and humbled by the outpouring of compassion. THANK YOU!!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you guys are finally home & just in time for Christmas. I have been praying every day/night for you guys. Emma you sure are a miracle & 1 heck of a fighter. :)

Always remember you have prayers coming from Northeastern Oklahoma all the time.

I hope you guys have a very Merry & Blessed Christmas.

God Bless,
Salie

Laura said...

So glad to see Emma is back home!!

I have been so very worried about here... I do hope the new medicaion helps. I know our Little Tinkerbell is on both of them.

Praying she does well with no seizure medicaions.

We are still in ICKY-U! Looks like this is where we will be for her birthday and CHRISTmas ~ Again.

Laura - Tinkerbells mommy

 The Morris Family said...

I am so glad your home!!! What a scary time, I can imagine!!! Home....my favorite place too!!! I know your likely worn out in mind and body but He will be your strength!!!! I pray you all have a blessed time and can rest and heal and enjoy Christmas just being together!!!!!

and have fun with the ZHU ZHU!!!!

ANewKindOfPerfect said...

I just came across your blog from another. You have a beautiful daughter, and I am happy for you that she is home for Christmas!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and your family a Very Merry CHRISTmas

Tinkerbell and family

BriInspirational said...

This is truly a blessing, great recovery and home for Christmas. I hope you and your family have a blessed holiday. Remember always look to God and your family for strength during trying times.

Greg and I send many hugs your way!

Brittney

Gretch said...

Sooooooo glad you all made it home for Christmas and I hope you Christmas was WONDERFUL!! (((HUGS)))

Contact us via email at:
emmaandmommy@yahoo.com