Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Reduction in Nursing


I just got off the phone with Emma's lung doctor's office. They have agreed to reduce our nursing care from 6 to 3 nights a week. Now a lot of you know the trouble I have had with nursing, from sleeping nurses, to the one that went outside while she should have been working! I have one nurse now DeLene, the one we have always got along with, she is a wonderful nurse. On the 4 nights a week we get off I am going to sleep on a fold out bed next to Emma, which is pretty much what I have been doing all along anyway. We have been down to 3 days about 50% of the last 2 years anyway.

I am happy though because it means the nurses that would be at my house those other 3 nights (if they found me a replacement) can go to other houses where they are needed more. There is such a lack of nursing and some people can't even bring their kids home because of it. It always bugged me we had such more nursing and such little need for it. DeLene is wonderful don't get me wrong, but she only changes diapers, starts food and on occasion suctions Emma. That is way less than an hour she is working the whole 12 she is here! The other times we just hang out and she plays with Emma, Derek and Ella or watches tv. Still I am glad we have her those 3 days to give me a break.

So I am hoping this ends some of the red tape and hassle with the nursing company, since they don't have to actively search to fill days for me any more.

1 comments:

Amy Ritchie said...

Glad that you are getting some of your issues with the nursing fixed. I only had a short taste of it but it is hard to have soneone at your house for hours and hours on end....especially when they are not really doing a whole lot. I am glad that you seem to be happy with the new arrangement but hope you don't get too burned out.

I remember the days in the hospital when we were talking about needing nurse care and there wasn't any available. We never did have a nurse for night care. They were in process of finding it. With the situation as it was I probably still wouldn't have slept much anyway.

Those days seem so long ago now. Sometimes it doesn'seem like it even happened.

Contact us via email at:
emmaandmommy@yahoo.com